Rich As A King: How the Wisdom of Chess Can Make You a Grandmaster of Investing
By Grandmaster Susan Polgar and Douglas Goldstein, CFP®
Media inquiries: Yoram Ohana, Yoram@RichAsAKing.com, 1-888-327-6179 ext. 6
Review copy requests: Yoram Ohana, Yoram@RichAsAKing.com, 1-888-327-6179 ext. 6
Public appearances, speaking requests: Yoram Ohana, Yoram@RichAsAKing.com, 1-888-327-6179 ext. 6
BUILDING YOUR WEALTH AND REALIZING YOUR DREAMS ISN’T JUST A GAME ….
The strategic thinking skills of chess can also be applied to the world of finance and investing. Thinking one step ahead and creating a detailed financial plan will bring you closer to your ultimate goal of building your wealth.
World chess champion Grandmaster Susan Polgar joined forces with international financial planner Douglas Goldstein, CFP®, to write Rich As A King, the ultimate personal finance book that teaches you to apply the strategies from chess to mastering your money.
Rich As A King: How the Wisdom of Chess Can Make You a Grandmaster of Investing, reveals strategic secrets including:
- How to set goals and build your vision
- How to protect your core assets
- How to create a financial plan
- How to wisely move the pieces within your portfolio to make money
The book culminates in 64 specific steps to take to improve your finances.
Soft cover scheduled release October, 2014
Hard cover scheduled release October, 2014
E-book (Kindle, Nook, etc.) scheduled release September, 2014
Audiobook scheduled release March, 2015
Publisher: Morgan James Publishing, New York
ISBN 978-1-63047-097-5 paperback
ISBN 978-1-63047-098-2 eBook
ISBN 978-1-63047-099-9 hardcover
Library of Congress Control Number: 2014930596
286 pages + index
Additional Material – 40 never-before-seen movies explaining Susan Polgar’s chess moves and how they relate to finance (see sample at www.RichAsAKing.com/demo-video)
Additional bonus material available on the website to purchasers of the book
46 Second Book Trailer
Sample Video from the Book
Rich As A King Podcast
To share ideas for people who prefer audio, the authors have created a series of podcasts.
Check them out here: https://richasaking.com/category/podcasts/
Blogs with New Chess and Investing Ideas
Check out https://richasaking.com/blog/ for titles like:
The Shocking Truth About Investing and Optimism
Fear can paralyze you
What to do if your investments – or your chess games – turn sour
Rich As A King has been endorsed by Nobel Prize Winner (Economics) Michael Spence, top professors, many best-selling authors, TV personalities, financial magazine columnists, business leaders, and more. To see them all, go to www.RichAsAKing.com/praise
Bio talking points
Susan Polgar is the co-author of Rich As A King: How the Wisdom of Chess Can Make You a Grandmaster of Investing. She’s a chess grandmaster, former world chess champion, and coach of the #1 collegiate chess team in America, which won the last four straight Final Four National Championships.
- Five-time Olympic Champion, never once losing a game.
- First woman to earn the coveted “Grandmaster” title.
- At the age of 15, she became the top-ranked woman player in the world, and remained ranked in the top three for nearly 25 years.
Douglas Goldstein is the co-author of Rich As A King: How the Wisdom of Chess Can Make You a Grandmaster of Investing. He’s a Certified Financial PlannerTM, a college lecturer, and radio show host.
- 20-year Wall Street veteran.
- Head of a major, international financial services company.
- Written four books and offers weekly advice in the newspaper.
List of Interview Questions
Financial interview topics
- How to start investing money
- How to protect yourself against inflation
- Safe investments for retirement
- How to make money with mutual funds
Chess interview topics
- Why chess? How the royal game can make you “rich as a king”
- How chess can make you a better investor
- Why every school should teach chess
- You need more than “planning ahead” to win at chess and investing
Sample interview questions
Questions for Susan related to chess, strategic thinking, her life story
- How can playing chess make someone a better decision maker?
- Can knowing chess strategies really make you a better investor?
- What was the greatest obstacle you faced on your path to becoming world champion?
- As someone who was homeschooled, do you think that’s the right path for children?
- Do chess players make good businesspeople?
- What chess strategies have you used off the board that have helped you?
- In Rich As A King, you tell the story of someone threatening your life if you played for the American team. What was that like?
- How many moves ahead do you think when you play chess?
Questions for Doug related to investments and financial planning
- What made you see the connection between chess and money?
- What’s the most important investment lesson that someone can learn from chess?
- You write that using a mutual fund or money manager is like having a grandmaster handle your portfolio. Shouldn’t investors just buy an index fund and hold it for many years?
- Given the huge uncertainty in the economy, do any of the old strategies still apply?
- How should people invest their money right now?
- How should individuals invest small amounts of money?
- What are the biggest concerns that retirees have these days?
- What chess tactics can people use to make money in the stock market?
How to Sound Like You’ve Read the Book
If you don’t have a chance to read the whole book, here are a few key points to know:
The whole core of the book is based on using chess strategies to help people make strategic decisions about their own personal finances.
The book is divided into four sections:
Part A: Strategy
Part B: Tactics
Part C: How the Pieces Move: Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Funds
Part D: Getting Rich Using Chess Strategies
The beginning of the book shows the psychological barriers that stop both chess players and investors from succeeding. It’s based heavily on the research of Nobel Prize Winner Daniel Kahneman, who wrote the best-selling book, Thinking, Fast and Slow. Susan and Doug met with Kahneman, spoke to him several times about the book, and even got his review and comments about the ideas in Rich As A King.
The section segues into an in-depth discussion of financial planning. It promotes the “6-step” process which is followed by Certified Financial Planners. It also discusses when and how to use computers for handling investments and designing plans.
The next part of the book covers budgeting, dealing with money within a family, avoiding debt, and developing systems for saving money.
The third part of the book focuses on specific investments, including stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. Each investment category gets a thorough review, and the readers learn both the pros and cons of each type of investment.
The final section of the book, “64 Strategies to Make You Rich as a King,” takes 64 chess strategies – one for each square on the board – and applies them to specific financial situations. This section is the most exciting, and each idea is clear and concise, making it fun for the reader to go from one strategy to the next picking up gems of financial wisdom.
Free copy of Susan and Doug’s e-book, The Grandmaster’s Toolbox. This book is available to people who sign up for the Rich As A King newsletter on the homepage, www.RichAsAKing.com. It includes all of the fun and valuable online resources that Susan and Doug use every day to strategically manage their businesses and their busy schedules.
The authors and publisher are donating 10% of their income from the sale of Rich As A King to the Susan Polgar Foundation. The Foundation’s mission is to promote chess, with all its educational, social, and competitive benefits, throughout the United States, for young people of all ages, especially girls. To learn more about the foundation, visit http://www.susanpolgar.com/susan-polgar-foundation.html
The authors are available for corporate consulting, keynote speeches, and motivational presentations. See: https://richasaking.com/corporate/